The Children’s House was founded in 1973 by a group of Nashville parents seeking a quality early educational experience for their own young children. These parents embraced the Montessori philosophy of following the child’s interests, observing to determine growth and needs, encouraging independence and respectfully guiding each child to reach full potential in a carefully prepared environment. The Children’s House opened in 1973 with one class of 30 children.
Our dedication to the success of every student has enabled the Children’s House to grow. We now serve 75 children in three classrooms, appointed with a wide range of Montessori materials. Our buildings and campus include an art studio, dedicated space for before school and after school childcare, adult meeting rooms, volunteer work areas, beautiful gardens and outdoor play and learning spaces.
During the past 40 years, parents, faculty, board and community members have generously supported Children’s House and its improvements so that our school is debt free. Our founders and those who have followed created a legacy of leaving the school better than they found it.
Located in the Green Hills/Belmont area of Nashville, Children’s House offers Montessori early childhood and Kindergarten opportunities to children ages 3-6.
The Children’s House is a Montessori preschool and kindergarten that guides a diverse group of children to become joyful and confident lifelong learners who respect others and the world around them.
Children’s House students are extraordinary citizens: independent, responsible, unique and confident in their abilities to influence their world.
What We Believe
- Respect for each child’s uniqueness builds trust and allows the child to learn and grow.
- Young children learn best and develop independence by being actively involved in our enriched learning environment.
- Children who experience diversity when they are young will grow to accept and cherish differences in others and themselves.
- Children in multi-age groups help each other learn.
- Joyful learners become lifelong learners.